Tuning pin size?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 19 May 2001 11:46:51 -0500

>No, no, no. I am serious that I would LIKE to do that. Would that cause a
>problem?

Yea, I'd like it too. I don't really know that there would be problems, if
the flange is heavy and braced with struts - and probably a horn. Then
again, I don't know that there wouldn't. This looks like a question for a
piano designer with experience along these lines.

>I ask most all that in theory, because even though I do indeed like tuning
>on an open-faced pinblock better, I don't think it would be worth the effort
>of doing.

Maybe not with the usual rebuild process, but if you're changing the string
and rib scale, new soundboard, making new bridges, installing vertical
hitch pins, fixing duplexes, and the like, it wouldn't be that much more
trouble.

>Why do all new pianos (and for the last 100 years) have the plate covering
>over the pinblock in the tuning pin area. Why did manufacturers get away
>from open pinblocks???????

I've been thinking about that one too, since we've been talking about pins
riding plates. Maybe the webbing is a hedge (a limiter) against pins
migrating forward in the block with the higher string tensions of the more
"modern" designs. Like Del suggested about the Steinway setup - maybe it's
intentional.

Ron N