Procedure for unison tuning two pianos.

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Mon, 21 May 2001 02:59:37 EDT

For what it's worth I'd like to add my experience in tuning two pianos that
are intended for performance at the same time.

I have had this experience a number of times and have worked out a routine
which I will offer as a possibility for others.

My routine was first to tune the piano Number one, the piano closest to the
desired pitch, first, as well as I could tune it. then to take the A from
piano one and tune piano 2 to that A. This required moving the two pianos
into such a position that I could play both A's at the same time. Instead of
using a fork for piano 2 I used the A from Piano 1.

the I proceded to tne piano 2 to the same temperament and tuning as I used on
piano 1. After that I ckecked the tuning of piano 2 aGAINST PIANO 1 NOTE BY
NOTE 1 TO 88.

 After that I did the unisons.

I never had a complaint, and the two pianos seemed to have been relatively
related.

The key to my approach was to move the two pianos into a position that I
could play the same notes on both pianos at the same time. If they are large
instruments some shifting may be necessary. the main ob jective was, in my
experience, to use piano 1 as the key to piano 2.

I hope this experience can be of some use to other technicians.

Dan Franklin, RPT