Is Bigger Better?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 07:53:28 -0400

I am trying to provide some piano purchase guidance to my son's piano
teacher. She wishes to find an old salvage grand of high quality for
complete rebuilding (she wants a piano that is as good as or better than
new, but does not cost as much) - ideally, a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin,
Bechstein, etc. She is looking for the piano of her dreams - one that she
will play for the rest of her life - or there abouts. Now I know (or think I
know) that in general, within a particular piano quality/type range, bigger
is better.

This piano will be used in a small home studio (a small living room - about
12' x 20' - no concert halls there). I know of some people that prefer a
smaller piano in their home - I remember Randy Potter told me that he traded
his Steinway B in for a model M because the B was too big for his home - or
he preferred the M for some reason (the way is sounded or played - and not
just becuase of the furniture thing). A couple pianos she is considering
buying is an old 1920 M&H model A (5' 8") and a 1900 Bechstein (5' 11").
Both pianos are perfect for complete rebuilding because they have bad
boards, etc., but from a salvage perspective are in good original condition.
But she could find a bigger Bechstein, a bigger M&H, or a Steinway A III or
B. I also know it does not cost significantly more to rebuild a 7-foot piano
than it does a 5' 8" piano.

So there is the question. I don't play piano, so I don't have very good
direct input/thoughts on the subject. Is bigger necessarily better (similar
pianos otherwise), i.e. is a M&H BB a lot nicer piano than a model A for a
home studio use? She is a good player and continuing to take lessons - her
desire is to obtain a piano that sounds good and has an action, etc. that
will not limit her (and her student's) playing development.

Any thoughts?