Is Bigger Better?

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 21 May 2001 18:52:59 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> I am trying to provide some piano purchase guidance to my son's piano
> teacher. She wishes to find an old salvage grand of high quality for
> complete rebuilding (she wants a piano that is as good as or better than
> new, but does not cost as much) -

Hmmm where have I heard this before... What planet did you say she lives on ???
:)

> ideally, a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin,
> Bechstein, etc. She is looking for the piano of her dreams - one that she
> will play for the rest of her life - or there abouts. Now I know (or think I
> know) that in general, within a particular piano quality/type range, bigger
> is better.

I would not be so sure... in anycase this kinda thing is going to vary from
person to person. Personally I think the best Yamaha grand  is the C3 and for my
part they coulda not bothered with anything bigger.. grin I know I know.... but
I would think that probably every piano manufacturer has a certain model / size
where things just came together better then their other models.

As far as the rest of your query goes... sounds like she wants German... I
aggree that a piano much over 6 foot is going to be too much... and if she finds
a piano that she loves that is that old and doesnt need all that much work then
of course go for it. A piano that needs a complete rebuild however is going to
sound and act quite differently then the piano she "picked"... risky
buisness....but certainly its been done many a time..
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.