Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 21 May 2001 23:00:53 +0200

Jon Page wrote:

> At 02:39 PM 05/21/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> >So why don't more parents bring the kids with them when
>> shopping for a
>> >piano?
>> I think it's because the kid will spend more of their money than
>> they would
>> have, and they don't want to establish that kind of precedent.

I would think its a bit more complex then that. First off, the
desirability of this suggestion would largely depend on what kind of
working relationship the parents and child have. Actually you could
easily put a child in a very uncomfortable and stressing position
here.

Certainly the ascertainment of the childs real preferences, within
the constraints of an appropriate quality / cost configuration for
the indivudual child and family, would be condusive to the
procrument of a suituable solution, but how to derive this from the
existing practicalities of the persons involved in a manner such
that both the purchase of the instrument, the wishes and needs of
the child, and the economic parameters of the parents are in harmony
with any real degree of acceptability in terms of the stated initial
wished for results, is no doubt a question with as many answers as
there are solutions.

grin.

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.