Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 20:18:33 -0700

    Terry Farrell wrote:

   "Now Beethoven played concerts on pianos that were below today's
performance
standards (at least as projecting on a stage goes). And my information is
that he was able to make some pretty nice music. Was his pianos not beneath
his playing skills? (Of course, I have read that he sent many a nasty letter
to piano manufacturers describing how lousy their pianos were!) How do I
explain to Mrs. AnypianowilldoforSusie that tenth-year-of-lessons Susie's
playing progress would benefit from a good quality grand piano rather than
that old ratty spinet. And what can we do about these %&*# piano teachers
that teach on some gastly holding-together-with-scotch-tape-and-super-glue
old &+#$ uprights? How do we tell them??????"

    I applaud, Terry. Simply tell them that the instrument that they play on
has to be capable of conveying expression. In short, you have to be able to
make music on it- with it. If they don't understand that, then they do it to
make money.  (The music teachers, that is. Beethoven was deaf after the
Fifth Symphony anyway, saved alot on tuners fees I bet.)

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com