Is Bigger Better?

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:27:54 -0400

Hi Terry,

You were questioning the hammer shanks not being square to the action rails.

Del mentioned Chickering being one who didn't necessarily see the virtue in
that particular concept.  Another one I saw in the not so distant past was a
Bluthner with their Patent Action.  That design had the hammer shanks
fanning from left to right as you proceeded from bass to treble and the
angles were not insignificant.  (Another thing that a modern pianist might
not appreciate about the Bluthner Patent Action is that it wouldn't lend
itself to "modernizing" with new wippens, hammers, shanks, flanges, etc.
because of it's unusual design.  There are those who are passionate about
preserving the Bluthner Patent Action, and they can indeed be made to play
wonderfully.  But they are different from the touch and feel of the modern
actions we're used to seeing.)

Certainly, on the odd pianos where hammer shanks were fanned purposefully,
one could manufacture a new and modern keyboard and action from the keyframe
up, but you'd be adding considerably to the end cost.

I'm finding out that a person can do almost anything given the time and the
money.  Unfortunately, I've got less of both than I'd like!  (Welcome to the
family, right?!)  ;-)

Just be sure to have a good look at the piano being considered for the
rebuild so as to avoid surprises such as the Bluthner Patent Action (as it
was for a good friend of mine) or an odd Chickering action.  There may be
others.  Keep the eyes open and the brain switched on.  You'll be ok!

Good luck, Terry.  Sounds like an interesting project.

Brian Trout
Slidell, LA
trouts_place@hotmail.com