Broken pressure bar screw

Tue, 22 May 2001 09:36:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 22, 2001 6:28 AM
Subject: Broken pressure bar screw

> Friends,
>
> In a 1980 Everett studio piano I service, the highest pressure bar screw
> is broken off flush with the pinblock.  With the pressure bar in the
> way, how does one get down in there to get the tip of the screw out?
> I've never had to deal with a situation like this before.
>
> I've even wondered if I should just forget about it, although I don't
> generally like to go that route.  The pressure bar is fairly substantial
> and doesn't appear to be bending under the tension.  Any help out there?

Unless you're a real glutton for various types of self-flagellation and
unless the thing is causing real -- not imagined -- tuning stability in the
last two or three unisons and unless that tuning instability is of real
concern to the piano owner, leave the thing alone.

Or be prepared to remove the pressure bar and dig it out. There are a couple
of tools made for this purpose but they all require more space than you're
going to find through the hole in the pressure bar.

Del