touchweight analysis

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 06:15:16 -0000

Richard:

First I replaced the whippens (the old ones were shot anyway) with Renner
universal with an offset heel set in the forward position.  The original key
ratio was about .61 throughout so I moved the capstan as far as I could
without compromising the regulation too much.  I didn't want to go beyond
.400 dip and wanted to keep the blow distance fairly standard, thus, I could
only get the key ratio down to .57.

The strike weights were on the low end in bass going to high in the treble.
Since the key ratio was fairly high I needed to keep the SW's low in order
to avoid excess front weighting.  The bass section was almost right and just
needed to be smoothed out.  The transition to higher SW's started around
note 33, so starting there I took some weight off the hammers going all the
way to the top.  By note 50 I was removing about a gram and a bit over that
in the last octave.  The SW of Note #1 was 10.3 and note #88 4.8.  The
leading pattern ended up a more standard 3-2-1-0 with front weights
comfortably under the maximums as outlined by David Stanwood's table.  The
action regulated with dip of .395" and blow of 1.75".

The action played much more fluidly with less effort and the customer (a
concert level pianist) was pleased with the improvement.  Though I think
this was the best solution under the circumstances, it was not the most
ideal action.  High KR and low SW's, though necessary to get any kind of
normal feel in this action, is not the most ideal solution for me.  The
alternative (short of remaking the keys) was to put on an assist spring but,
I admit, as someone with a fair amount of pianistic skill, I am not yet sold
on how these actions feel.

Not bad for a beginner, eh?

David Love