Virus Protection

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 23 May 2001 01:54:26 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray T. Bentley <Ray@Bentley.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 9:03 PM
Subject: Virus Protection

 I knew that if I was able to delete the file, I was not going to
infect others while I worked through the solution.  I updated my
Norton, and cleaned it out properly.  BTW, to others who may have an
expired virus update subscription, it is very inexpensive at $3.95 a
year.

I admit to being a dumbster in trying to open the attachment; I should
have known better.  But most experiences can result in some kind of
learning.  I renewed my subscription to updates, and protected my e
mail client.  This virus was reportedly first seen on April 11 of this
year.

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL
Ray@Bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net

For some reason I too clicked on the attachment and then saved it to
disk.  That was enough to infect.  Fortunatly a procedure I ALWAYS do
is check the out box before I connect, and then always before I hit
Send and Receive even if I have done it before on the same session.
    When I ckecked the out box I was surprised to see a bunch of out
going posts I had not put there.  Another clue was that Outlook
express kept  trying to dial the modem.   This is a security issue
that I think should be official advice for list members and internet
etiquette.  Safety minded users should have the automatic dial
disabled.  It only takes a few seconds to click the buttons to dial
out.  When this is done but dial up prompt boxes start popping up,
this is a clue something is wrong and should be checked. This also
happened to me.  It is bad enough that when you are dialed up (on
line) viruses can work behind your back.   Still, even though Outlook
Express is often the vehicle of the attachment viruses,  messages
about to be sent can be seen if the out box is checked before clicking
"send and receive".  Also the "sent messages" box will show (but too
late) what has been sent. ---ric