Church Pianos on a Mouse-Sized Budget

Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Wed, 23 May 2001 08:32:41 -0500

There is one church I service that had an interesting piano acquisition.  A
family in the church decided to purchase a new Boston piano in memory of a
family member.  They actually traded in the existing piano on the new one
without the knowledge or consent of the church and put a memorial plaque on
it.  The piano is fine, but needless to say, it caused quite a rift in the
congregation!

Fortunately, in my own church, I was allowed to serve on a committee to
purchase a new grand piano for our sanctuary in memory of a late organist.
I led the committee to several dealers who carry only the finest pianos
available with recommendations as to model fortified with Larry Fine's Piano
Book.  Then I recused myself from the final decision.  The committee
selected a well prepared Baldwin SF10.  I'm very happy about that!

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL

ray@bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net