Thickness Planer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:23:09 -0400

Hi Greg. I had never heard of such a thing. I found one on the web. It is
18" x 36". I'm guessing this is the model your brother has (or something
similar). It runs $800. Ouch! I have no doubt it is a nice tool - as are
soooooo many others. But I'm kinda thinking that I might be better off with
a portable 12" that I can stash under a bench - I found one (thanks to your
Delta plug) from a place that sells Delta tools, factory reconditioned with
warrenty for $199. That may just be the way I go. Thanks for the suggestion
though. And thanks to everyone else for their input.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Thickness Planer

Terry,
    My brother swears by his new Delta drum sander. It's big but
cantilevered so
he can do a 36" wide board to whatever thickness he chooses. He won't use
his
little 12 1/2 planer anymore. (Perhaps he'll sell it to you if that's what
you
really want). You can put on varying grits on the drum  from large rocks
glued
to paper down to particles so small you'd swear it's not doing anything. If
were to do it again I think I'd consider this just for the size of the piece
you
can get in it.

Greg

--