Thickness Planer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:03:02 -0400

I have a ShopSmith that I bought used many years ago. I use it quite a =
bit. I have considered expanding it, but at $950 for the thickness =
planer and $500 for an 11-inch bandsaw - I just doesn't seem to make =
economical sense to me. Are their products two to four times higher in =
quality? I see their prices are. I don't mean any of this in a sarcastic =
manner, but most of their stuff appears to me to be grossly overpriced. =
No?

Also, mine is the model before the Mark V came out. I'm not sure whether =
these attachments will go on my machine.
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 7:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Thickness Planer

  At 07:41 AM 05/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:

    Looking for recommendations for purchasing a thickness planer. I am =
in the
    midst of rebuilding a keybed on an old Knabe grand and the keybed =
ends were
    constructed like a sandwich - hardwoods on the top and bottom and =
softwood
    on the inside - and I gotta do some exacto planing on my replacement =
lumber.

    I have only a small shop and have no significant plans of expanding. =
I would
    have only occasional use for the planer. What do ya'll recommend =
regarding
    size and quality. Will a Crapsman do for me? What size should be =
sufficient
    (I believe they are sold by the width of board they will plane)? How =
does
    quality affect the cut surface of a piece of hardwood? Obviously I =
need to
    be able to send a  piece of oak or hard maple through it.

  ShopSmith
  http://www.shopsmith.com

  I have been using mine forever...
  Add-ons I use: bandsaw, jointer, planer