Thickness Planer

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:26:55 -0500

> I have a ShopSmith that I bought used many years ago. I use it quite a bit. I
> have considered expanding it, but at $950 for the thickness planer and $500
> for an 11-inch bandsaw - I just doesn't seem to make economical sense to me.
> Are their products two to four times higher in quality? I see their prices
> are. I don't mean any of this in a sarcastic manner, but most of their stuff
> appears to me to be grossly overpriced. No?
>
> Also, mine is the model before the Mark V came out. I'm not sure whether
> these attachments will go on my machine.

I have one of the OLD ones too. On it's third motor, It serves primarily as a
12" disc sander, and on rare occasions as a wood lathe. I went for separate
machines for at least a couple of reasons.

Setup time swapping machines would drive me up the wall, since I often wade
back and forth between machines sawing, sanding, drilling, bleeding.

Thickness planers, bandsaws, and drill presses have considerably different
power requirements, and an all in one machine will probably be underpowered as
a planer.

For the cost of accessory machines, or less, I bought self contained and
individually (and appropriately) powered ones. It cost more in floor space, but
the work sure flows smoother.

Ron N