health savings account was Re: health insurance

Laura Olsen laura257@chicagonet.net
Thu, 24 May 2001 15:19:09 -0500

Willem,
Not quite, Wim. They don't lend you anything.  An MSA is in two parts.  One
is the Insurance Policy and the rest is the amount that goes into your
savings account.  Past the high deductable, the insurance policy pays a
percentage of covered medical expenses like other policies.   I've been
insured by Golden Rule's MSA since May of 1999 and it is handy to have
access to those savings to pay medical bills as they come up (provided you
have enough in the savings account.)  It is my experience though, that there
is very little that I use that their policy will cover, although if it's a
deductable medical expense, covered or not you can use the savings in your
MSA to pay for  it.  It's also been hard to find physicians in my area that
are included on their Preferred Provide list and their discounted Lab
service is useless to my Doctors and I've never had a perscription that
their discount card was able to help me with. My primary physician won't
mess with filing their forms which creates more of a hassel. This could very
well be the case for any insurance I get, even when I was paying almost $900
a month for me and my son my claims were frequently denied. Now I pay half
that and almost $300 a month goes into the Savings account, less a $3 a
month fee.  Also, (a plus) anything in your Medical Savings Account at
retirement gets rolled over into an IRA.  Your insurance policy is a
deductable expense and the amount you pay into the savings account is
deductable.  The interest is tax deferred.  I haven't found a policy that's
perfect yet. Not even close, but I can't afford to be uninsured.  A 5 hour
trip to the emergency room recently cost me about $2300.  I guess I'd just
advise you read the fine print and watch out for those riders.

Laura Olsen, RPT
Team2001 Institute Director
44th Annual PTG Convention & Institute
July 11-15, 2001