New hammers for Hamilton school piano

Thu, 24 May 2001 22:33:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 24, 2001 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: New hammers for Hamilton school piano

> Oh really Del,
> And what part of your remanufacture/rebuild business uses ecsaine? Haven't
> heard you espousing it's virtues before.

Obviously, none of it. But, I remanufacture and rebuild pianos. I don't mass
produce them. My needs along these lines are quite modest. If I were
manufacturing even at the quantity Baldwin is currently producing I would
probably be using the stuff. I'd also be looking into plastic action parts,
laminated soundboards and a lot of other stuff I don't currently use in my
piano remanufacturing business.

If you haven't heard me espousing the virtues of these things, well, you
haven't been on the list all that long.

> And while we're at it how come you
> didn't come to the rescue of the newer Hamilton's problems, seeing as how
> it's your redesign, (according to a conversation we had a few years
ago.):-)

I only redesigned the piano, I don't build it. Why should I come to the
rescue of a piano being sloppily built on an assembly line that was being
pushed beyond anything it was designed to handle. Besides, the piano being
built today is no longer the piano I redesigned. For just one example, I
didn't specify the hammers that are in use today. As has already been
pointed out several time on this list, that redesign was supposed to be a
stop-gap until a new back and scale could be designed. Obviously, that never
happened. Even so, go back to the piano as I redesigned it in the mid-80s,
build it properly, and you'll have a piano that is still reasonably
competitive with anything else in its size and price range.

Regards,

Del