Your choice, please

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 25 May 2001 00:35:20 -0500

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I read the negative stuff about Baldwin Hamiltons.  So I would like to
> know-- if a school wants to purchase new studio pianos, what would you
> recommend?
>
> Regards, Clyde

1.  Kawai UST-7.  A great workhorse piano, strong plywood case, decent
sound and action, generally kid proof.
2.  Kawai UST-8.  Has particle board construction and not as good as UST-7
but cheaper.  Similar sound quality.
3.  Yamaha P-22  A proven piano though a somewhat tinny sound, long
impressive track record and generally kid resistant.  The newer ones are
mostly particle board construction though they still seem durable enough.
Very easy to tune.
4.  Yamaha U-3.  Very expensive but has a nice big sound and a good
action.  Better construction than it's wimpy U-1 cousin.
5.  Young Chang U-116.  I mention this not necessarily because it is
widely known as a "school piano" so much as an attention getter.  The
quality of these and other certain imports have improved dramatically,
Young Chang in particular.  I believe that they deserve serious
consideration for institutions in spite of the common "poo pooing" by
music administrators who have forgotten that Yamaha was once considered a
"cheap Asian import".

Yes darling, there is life after Hamilton.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV