Concert nightmares/no time

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 05:21:39 -0400

Dave, I'm not really an 'established' Concert venue tuner, having only done
it for 3 years, but from what you wrote, 2 things come to mind:

There is no way you can do Concert quality work on 2 pianos in 1 hr.,
especially when one of them was moved into the venue from another place..not
to mention the S&S was at 442..

"Standing there shocked"...live and learn, I guess..you need to stand up for
yourself, as you said, very diplomaticly, in this kind of situation..not an
easy thing to do while an artiste is bashing your work or lack of it.

I'm sure you will tell the regular tech who recommended you about this
scenario.

It's ok to vent some of that frustration here..you'll get some sympathy from
your peers..but it's also important that the regular tech know of this
story..he recommended you for a reason..make sure those reasons are
re-inforced when he returns. I am "first call" for a Concert hall here that
has a regular tech, and it can be a touchy situation when you're dealing
with people who don't know you and you do not know them..my first experience
covering for this venue was much more pleasant than this..and from then on,
when I covered for this tech, I was like "one of the family".. and I have
been called, literally, at the last minute, to come tune while covering for
this tech, after he and the venue stage director went over the schedule to
make sure I knew when my services would be needed...and this also happens
with my regular Concert gig.

Concert work..you've got to love it..and be prepared to work at any time.

roo(k)