steaming hammers, again

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 05:32:29 -0400

Dave, I steamed my first set of hammers just yesterday..for lack of a better
term, Asian 'rocks' at the end of a hammer shank.

the results were very pleasing.

As to your question about 'what happens over time' with steamed
hammers'?...well, the hammers in question here are in my shop attached to a
piano I recently re-strung. The piano is going back to the dealership that I
do work for, so I will be following this piano around for awhile..I
anticipate that the longevity of this procedure rivals that any other hammer
softening technique that we know of, including Alcohol/Snuggles(my other
choice of hammer softening).

In your post, you mentioned NOT re-shaping hammers before steaming..I did on
the hammers in my shop..I got a better tone after re-shaping and then I
steamed them and got even better tone after that.
I recommend re-shaping first before steaming.

My breif experiences exposed,
roo(k)