Concert nightmares/no time

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 26 May 2001 11:11:16 +1000

Dave and list,

Dave's experience, as related below, is all too common amongst some
'uneducated' music/arts administrators.

The concert technician is, like the pianist, exposed and on display
at each concert. And while the technician's 'performance' will be
mostly a solitary event, it is nonetheless critical to the success of
the performing artist (at least to that minority of concert goers who
can actually 'hear').

We have experienced similar poor communication when dealing with
concert administrators in the past. Today, when a concert booking is
made we discuss access, the contact no. and name of the stage
manager, car parking and the allowance of a satisfactory period of
time for tuning and if necessary voicing. Those of us who do concert
work must be treated as professionals, we must demand of concert
administrators that they allow time for us to adequately perform our
task.

I know there are 'concert' technicians out there also who choose to
do just what's necessary to get by, making a habit of keeping the
piano in reasonable but not fantastic shape. These technicians make
life difficult for those who are particular about their work, since
the concert administrator will often quote the (quite unrealistic)
times taken for a tuning by their favorite 'concert' technician. I
agree with you Dave, even with a 'straight' piano, a tuning still
takes about an hour to an hour ten. The thirty minute brigade are
kidding themselves (and the proof's in the Cds).

Dave, I believe your best course of action would be to find out who
was actually in charge of the event and give them a piece of stern
advice which they won't forget in a hurry.

A personal experience of poor protocol and a 'nearly' bad debt.

Several years ago, when I was doing quite a lot of concert tuning, I
got a last minute call to do a tuning for an international artist
(they'd forgotten to book the tuner - how unusual?). I arrived at the
venue only to find a colleague already tuning the Baldwin SD-10.
They'd booked two tech's just in case (very considerate and
thorough). As you would imagine I was not particularly pleased. The
venue manager said to send a bill for a calling charge and they would
look after it. They didn't - at least not voluntarily.

By six months and several reminders later I had well and truly lost
my sense of humor. When tuning nearby I called at the venue. The
receptionist announced that the manager was having a very important
meeting and would be unable to see me. By this time I was far too
annoyed to observe any protocol and marched straight past her into
the manager's office, to find him in a private meeting with a leading
Australian concert promoter. The manager looked up with a surprised
look on his face and asked me my business. When I agitatedly replied
that I had called about an outstanding bill he made the mistake of
suggesting that I send an invoice for service in the usual manner (of
course - it's all my fault?).

I was already just about in a mood to 'throttle' him, so this very
overheated piano technician gave him a blow by blow description of
the events which lead to him to be standing there demanding payment.
The manager seemed to be very embarrassed at this, so as soon the
'colorful description' ceased to 'utter forth' he went straight to
the safe, got the required cash and settled the outstanding amount.
As you would suspect, I didn't do any further work for the particular
venue. But since I have no wish to work for folks who treat me
inappropriately, this suited me just fine.

While this whole event took place over a miserable 40 dollars, I
still look back on the incident with considerable satisfaction.

Regards,

Ron O

Dave Renaud wrote;

--