damper "grain"

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:58:48 -0500

>or another explanation is that "horizontal" felt is layered/cut parallel
with
>the strings and "vertical" cut is cut /layered perpendicular to the strings.
>"Vertical" cut felts 'tend' to be of a firmer quality than does "horizontal"
>felt.....or have I got that backwards? :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Hi Jim,
            The vertical grain, (Laroux French)  tends to bunch up and
needs a lot of trimming and fitting, but tends to have less swish, good for
recording studio application. Not quite as durable.  Not so kind to the
damper novice.  Tips of bicord and tricord tend to be long and comes to a
point. Usually needs trimming to obtain string clearance.
Yamaha and Renner is firmer and easier to fit,  and work with. Horizontal
grain, with more squared off tips.
Regards Roger