Your(butt flange) choice, please

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 07:25:35 -0600

Willem,
Size the hole with ca glue
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 5:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Your(butt flange) choice, please

  In a message dated 5/26/01 4:31:43 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  jajones2@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU writes:=20

    Willem,=20
    I=E2=80=99ve heard this comment many times, however I have yet to =
experience this.  =20
     About 1/2 of UW inventory is Yamaha  and I don=E2=80=99t find the =
but plate to be=20
    a problem.  We do regularly tighten screws and check regulation  -  =
Yamaha=20
    service bond. This happens approximately every 2 years.  No doubt =
this does=20
    not happen in many  venues.  =20
       I grant there is stress on the butt plate.  Is there more stress =
in the=20
    plate than in the plateless flanges?   My hunch is that most techs =
feel the=20
    design is the problem.  I have to wonder if service isn=E2=80=99t =
the problem.  How=20
    much vertical regulation is offered in =E2=80=98normal=E2=80=99 =
service?  =20
       Hear those flanges clicking?    Would you like fries with your=20
    clicks???    =20
    Joel=20

  How old are these Yamahas, Joel? The problem I have run across is on =
Y's that=20
  are more than 10 years old. And the main problem seems to be that the =
screw=20
  hole wears out, and it can't be tighten any more. So now what do you =
do?=20

  Willem=20