hammer shanks

Robert A. Anderson fandango@dakotacom.net
Mon, 28 May 2001 15:09:00 -0700

In a message dated 5/28/2001 3:11:43 PM, Bob A. wrote:

<<"I bought a set of Brooks "Encore" sh & fl recently. When I
opened the
box, I was surprised to see that the whole set had narrowed
shanks. I've">>

To which Jim Bryant replied:

" Wally sells sets with all thinned shanks as well as sets with
just the
treble thinned......what kind of thingee are you gonna be using
these on?
Jim Bryant(FL)"

Jim, I bought 2 sets, one for a S&S "A", one for a S&S "M". I see, as I
look more carefully at Brooks' catalog, that, as you say, there are sets
available with only 30 shanks tapered. However, these are only the Abel
Hamb. S&S type and the Abel European R type, both with 17 mm
knuckles.All the rest are listed as 90 shanks tapered.

I don't have any preconception as to which approach is better, although
I have wondered about the abrupt change from a full shank to a tapered
one at about note 60. Having them all tapered certainly eliminates that
issue. This also reminds me of the older grands that I have seen with
the tapering stepped down from bass to treble. I think I've seen shanks
with 4 steps from bass to treble. Was that more expensive than the gain
was worth?

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ