Nomenclature (was Kahane piano breakdown)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 May 2001 01:31:19 EDT

> To quote the article: "The whippen, a tiny platform that
> holds the key-striking levers, was broken -- specifically the repetition
> jack, which allow notes to repeat."

I can now see what a semi automated editing process may have done.  The spell
checker didn't recognize the word "whippen", so it was deleted.  The
technical words following the word "specifically" were deemed unnecessary (if
the editor didn't exactly understand the details, then the general public
wouldn't either, so it was decided to just skip those words).  In the end we
were left with a phrase that was short and grammatically correct but was a
misinterpretation of the original.

<<A concert featuring the cellist had an unexpected delay when a 9-foot
Steinway piano broke in the middle of Beethoven's Triple Concerto. (snip) In
less than 10 minutes, a tiny platform that holds the keystroking levers was
fixed...>>

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin