Stuart & Sons Piano in Wales

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Tue, 29 May 2001 23:19:43 +1200

David Boyce wrote,

>I noticed a newspaper article (in The Independent) at work today, saying
>that a music college in Wales has bought a Stuart and Sons piano. There's a
>recital on it this week, by Peirs Lane, the Australian pianist. Wayne
>Stuart was quoted in the article, explaining some of the technical features
>(though these were not well summarised in the article.

>Now, how can I find time/money to get to Wales......

Hi David,

I had the pleasure of viewing and playing one of these last July at the
APTTA Sydney convention.
There is one set-up on display at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney which we
were able to view as well as several historic keyboard instruments in their
collection.
The Stuart and Sons is quite a different beast, had a stunning bass, unusual
string to bridge coupling, and beautifully finished. I'm not a pianist
really but one or two others who could play liked what they experienced and
it sounded great in less than ideal surroundings.
I tuned for Piers Lane a couple of years back when he visited, and we
discussed the Stuart and Sons piano which he was going to play shortly
after.
He is one of the few pianists that has asked me to play the piano while he
wandered around the theatre. Quite un-nerving for me but he was very easy to
get on with.
He is a stunning pianist BTW, just listen to his recording of Saint Saens
complete Etudes on Hyperion. Definitely one of my favorites.
If you can get there I'm sure you would be blown away by it.

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth
New Zealand