hammer shanks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 08:10:33 -0400

You are going to hate these questions. But they are real.

OK, so I read this so often: "I repin anyways as I have found stock pinning
to be"....not to certain standards. Just what are technicians standards for
an action they are rebuilding - let's make the assumption that they are
trying to do a good job.

Within 2 grams friction of their target friction? What do you shoot for?

Let's go one step further and figure that there was some consistency to the
original pinning at the time of manufacture (maybe too big an assumption -
but OK here - read on). So let's say that within one month or two, the
action center friction has wandered off from some target. How often - what
is normal - does center pin friction go astray. I realize one action center
may remain ideal for 50 years, while its neighbor goes askew once a month.
Let me ask this another way. Customer: very talented piano teacher teaching
advanced students. Piano: good condition hi-end piano - Yamaha C series or
better. She complains when the piano is not working properly. For "average",
fairly decent, environmental conditions - (not a church, and piano not next
to window in un-air conditioned home) how often would you expect to find
yourself repinning how many shanks/flanges? Again - I know it would be quite
variable, but just a general average is what I am looking for (I don't know
if it is common when servicing a hi-end customer to be repinning 20 action
centers every quarter).

Terry Farrell