hammer shanks

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 29 May 2001 16:51:47 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> You are going to hate these questions. But they are real.
>
> OK, so I read this so often: "I repin anyways as I have found stock pinning
> to be"....not to certain standards. Just what are technicians standards for
> an action they are rebuilding - let's make the assumption that they are
> trying to do a good job.

You start checking the centerpins on your out of the box flanges and you may
come to the same conclusion yourself. I repin as I am insterested in
consistancy, and making sure that the pins are not too loose and not to tight. I
use the swing test and  the tap test on grands, and the tap test otherwise.

These are done after I make sure that the pin is just as tight in both bushings.
If you got one side loose and the other side tight... you are asking for trouble
later on. ..grin.. and there is always plenty enough of that anyways so why ask
for more ?

> Within 2 grams friction of their target friction? What do you shoot for?

Never checked exactly how much grams of friction.. I do this by feel. As for the
rest of your questions about how often do you rechange... I change them as
necessary... within the limits of my service time. I sell 90 minute service
calls... not tunings... so I generally have plenty time to do some basic
maintenance.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.