S&S hammer specs

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 29 May 2001 18:47:07 +0200

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You wrote :
>
> "When Renner agreed to meet the Hamburg Steinway specifications...they got
> their contract back."
>
> Nice story, Richard, thank you
>
> I am wondering what are these specifications, and if they evolve often.

Havent really got a clue.. I suppose Steinways own preferences have changed
also through the years.

> 2 months ago I ordered a hammer set for a 20 years old S&S mod B, and
> received hammers with a slant very different, something that could me glued
> in a mod D.
> The core wood was different too, and so was the felt, the hole ,and the
> weight of course.
>
> SO what serves to give the piano number and receive hammers, when glued,
> that end with the striking point 3 mm too far (toward the keyboard)?

These  kinds of "mistakes" are part of  why I have always hung hammers myself.
One thing I have found quite a bit after I started paying attention to
Stannwood... its amazing how many replaced sets of hammers there are out there
with no regard given to what this does the the touchweight. Just plask them on
there and voice away.

You might want to give your piano a good check for touchweight...you might be
suprised.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.