Steinway mid-treble

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 00:47:55 -0600

    I'm servicing a Steinway B (1908) that was restrung and had the soundboard cracks shimmed in the 70's (they've all opened up again alongside the shims, but not terribly).    It has great tone except from about G5 to C7, the volume "drops out".  I've tried different strike points, which doesn't make much difference except in the highest octave.  I've lacquered the hammers, which have been replaced, but they're Steinway hammers, just shy of the strike point, which helped a little, but not much.  Should I lacquer right on the strike point?  The board has minimal crown, but does have some downbearing in that area.  Would restringing that area with different gauge wire have much effect on the volume?  What area of the hammer, if any, or what type of voicing has the most effect on volume?   Sincerely, Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver