It gets worse

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 31 May 2001 00:52:32 EDT

Baldwin Piano & Organ Co. Announces Intent to Reorganize Under Chapter 11 of
The United States Bankruptcy Code

MASON, Ohio, May 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Baldwin Piano & Organ Company today
announced its intent to file for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of
the United States Bankruptcy Code.  Previously, the Company announced on
April 24, 2001, a liquidity squeeze that was having a negative impact on the
Company.  Subsequently, Baldwin hired Robert Jones as the new chief executive
officer and announced that Kenneth W. Pavia was elected chairman of the board
of directors.

In a statement, Pavia said that while he had full confidence in Jones and his
ability to return the Company to profitability, the liquidity squeeze coupled
with certain legacy issues made the operation of Baldwin, as presently
defined, virtually impossible.

Pavia commented, "The legacy of past management makes the day-to-day
operations of our core business impossible.  Disproportionate severance
agreements, excessive inventory, excess administrative expenses in relation
to historical Company performance, internal control issues, executive
compensation arrangements that seem to exceed reasonable standards, and an
extensive list of substantial payables are some examples of the factors we
can not overcome."

"Other factors that led to our decision to file for protection," Pavia added,
"included unduly burdensome lease arrangements entered into under past
administrations, restrictive borrowing arrangements with our lender, and the
inability to secure concessions in regard to our liquidity crisis."

"The dealers, factory personnel, and the new management deserve the
opportunity to bring Baldwin back to its glory without the added pressure of
past mismanagement," Pavia emphasized.  "All attempts to resolve this matter
informally were explored and given due consideration.  Unfortunately, the
pressures caused by the lack of liquidity and the demand of our creditors,
including prior management's demand for the immediate payment under certain
change of control agreements, made any recovery impossible.  In the end, for
the benefit of all concerned, including our shareholders, a formal, orderly
reorganization became the only viable alternative."

In a statement, Jones said that he looked forward to leading the Company out
of bankruptcy and working diligently to restore the Baldwin name and maintain
the Company's relationship with its dealers and customers.  He continued,
"Despite being CEO for only three weeks, I am convinced that the personnel at
our factories have the ability, desire, and loyalty to make quality pianos
and achieve enhanced values.  I firmly believe that the Baldwin name stands
for our loyal employees and dealers.  With their continued support and the
implementation of our strategic plan, Baldwin can return to profitability
within a relatively short period."

Baldwin Piano & Organ Company, the maker of America's best selling pianos,
has marketed keyboard musical products for over 140 years.

"Safe Harbor" statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of
1995:  This release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to
risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, the impact of
competitive products and pricing, product demand and market acceptance,
reliance on key strategic alliances, fluctuation in operating results and
other risks detailed from time-to-time in the Company's filings with the
Securities and Exchange Commission.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin