A first for me

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 30 May 2001 23:45:04 -0500

Once I was rebuilding a Steinway 'S' and discovered a significant change in
the string scale. One size continued on for a full section without changing.
I checked the "Guide To Restringing Book" to see if any varied scales might
have been made but there was no record of what I was seeing.  The piano had
it's original strings from the factory.

I called New York and talked with Steve Dove who researched it for me by
serial number.  He later admitted to me that the "likely cause" was that the
factory simply ran out of a particular wire size and rather than halting
production they continued for a short period with an improvised scale.  He
assured me that this is something that would never be done today but in the
1920s when demand was high and supplies were sometimes low they would
occasionally cheat a little.  Of course the same could probably be said for
all factories, not just Steinway.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV