Strike Tone not Yielding same beatspeed

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 02:05:17 -0500

| > What is a "strike tone"?
>holding down the F2 and Ab2
>so their dampers are off the strings, then strike C5

Gadzooks what a gaff. (besides counting the partials wrong)  Ghosting.
(or sympathetic vibration)  Now I get it.  Here I am thinking C5 is
the "double 10th" of Ab2 and the "triple 5th" of F2.  "What does that
have to do with a minor 3rd".   Good thing I asked because otherwise,
"who you gonna call".  Obviously I was not trained in using ghosting
to tune.
    I never did heed the 6--5 3rds because they sound muddy to
begin-with and don't  test like the 5--4 3rd using the 5--4, 5--3,
5--2, 5--1 coincident partials.
    My piano being a foot and half shorter than a B has a very muddy
F2 m3.  But ghosting it with C5, the partials beat loud and clear even
though two of the unisons, Ab2 and C5 are out.  What a "swimmy beat".
Hmmm---makes you wonder how far apart strings can be before they can't
excite each other in sympathetic vibration and does this have anything
to do with "coupled motion" ?  Also I wonder if unisons can be tested
by ghosting.  ---ric

    But come, fill a flagon, for it will crave sometime to tune the
harp; and nought pitches the voice  and sharpens the ear like a cup of
wine.   ------- Ivanhoe