sndbd. springs

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:20:48 -0600

Thanks, Del, for the response on soundboard springs.  Yeah, it's power/volume I need, not sustain.  The owner, with a fearless, "why not?" attitude, wants to put a jack under the soundboard to try pressing up on different spots around the board (across a couple or more ribs) to try to find the "right spot" that will restore the power to the weak area (G5 to C7 or so), similar to a luthier moving the soundpost of a violin or cello around to find the optimum location for best tone/resonance.   I guess I can't stop him.....it's his piano.   I told him to be gentle or he may end up lifting the piano off the floor or breaking the soundboard.   Anyway, I'm not going to do any more lacquering.   -- Dave Nereson, Denver