interval names

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:55:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Kline" <sckline@home.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: interval names

> >           Respectfully, All tuners are not musicians, and  IMHO  calling
> >fourth a diminished third could create confusion among those of us
lacking
> >in the knowledge of music theory. I tend to get on my high horse
concerning
> >incorrect nomenclature ( a character flaw on my part no doubt) but I draw
> >the line when I don't know the correct terms!
> >     Tom Driscoll
>
> Tom, if I may (also respectfully) point out -- you are a professional
working
> on a musical instrument. A lot of your customers, admittedly not all, are
> musicians, and most of them are musically literate. The basics of music
theory
> are not particularly difficult, nor is the information a trade secret,
> jealously
> guarded by classical musicians. It is quite readily available.
>
> We're not talking about the difference between German and Italian sixth
chords
> here -- this is simple spelling. Why not learn it?
>
> Susan Kline

        Susan,
           Respectfully, The reason I will chose not to learn a different
way of identifying intervals is that in 28 years of service not one customer
has entered into discussion on this topic. Like many on the list I strive to
keep abreast on our latest techniques and materials, run a business, care
for a family etc. etc. I mention this realizing everyone has these
obligations and perhaps more, so if you don't mind I'll call a third a
third, not a diminished  fourth, blissful in my musical ignorance and spend
my "learning " time trying to figure out what the heck  Del is talking
about.
    By the way  the interval I'm most concerned about is the one between
presenting The bill and getting the check so I can get to the Starbucks
before the next call.
    Tom Driscoll