Unwrapped ends of bass strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:24:41 +0100

At 00:06 01/10/01 +0300, antonis karavelis wrote:

>I have noticed in all pianos, even in the finest grands, that in some
>bichords in the bass section the unwrapped end of one string of the unison
>varies in lentgh sometimes significally from the other.

This is just careless manufacture.

>  I'm aware that these unwrapped ends influence inharmonicity (as W.Trow
> Goddard proposes in his handbook on the strings of the piano)  and I
> suspect that these varations occur in order to produce a beatless unison.

1. For this test, Goddard used a string of hexagonal section roughly
equivalent to m.w.g. No. 16 with a 0.70 mm cover on note 20 with a tension
of about 166 lb.  The length of the string was 100 mm., typical of a rather
small piano.  Such a combination would be rather unusual in any case, but
to conduct a test with hexagonal wire seems to be courting errors.  The
wire ought to have been carefully and evenly filed for this test.

2. Even if Goddard's results are reliable, what is interesting is not how
_much_ difference the bare ends make, but how _little_ difference.  In his
table, he jumps from 6 mm. to 20 mm. and from this huge jump obtains a
difference of a single cent in the 5th partial. 6 mm. is about the minimum
even the most painstaking string-maker would allow at the soundboard bridge
end and nobody would make strings to come that close to the top bridge --
12 mm. would be considered extraordinarily close.  Whereas 20 mm. is
already far too much at the soundboard end and slightly more than average
at the top end.  When I am making strings for my own pianos, I aim to get
the copper as close as possible to the bridges and can do this because I
can totally trust my own measurements and have the piano present.  It is
impossible to rely so much on customers' measurements, even the most
careful craftsmen, because there are factors such as hitchpin angle,
downbearing that cannot be accurately allowed for.

If I receive a carefully made rubbing from a reliable customer, I will aim
to give him 8 mm. bare wire at the soundboard bridge and 15 mm. at the
top.  This is far closer than the work of most run-of-the-mill stringmakers
and that includes Steinway in Hamburg, whose strings are in no way
exceptional and are made with wide tolerances.

>However, is there any method with predictable results for a tuner to match
>a given set of bass bichords or trichords and how can this be applied in
>the field? I'm going to restring a S&S D and I fear that in the end I'll
>come up with a bass section full of "dirty" unisons.

The longer the strings, the less the effect of "bare ends" and if the bare
ends are minimized their effect on a Model D can be completely
disregarded.  Far more important is the quality of the steel and copper,
the evenness of the winding, the tightness of the winding and the proper
termination of the copper at the soundboard bridge.  By this last point I
mean the "whipping in" of the copper to add weight at the bottom
end.  Steinway always used to do this and the only reason they stopped
would be to save pennies, but it is many years since they bothered.  This
whipping has far more effect on the disposition of the harmonics than any
bare wire at the agraffe end.

It seems logical that maximum uniformity in a covered string should be
beneficial and we have always aimed for the minimum "bare end" that the job
will allow, but if Trow Goddard's experiment has any value at all then it
demonstrates that the effect is in fact much less than aesthetics and logic
would suggest.  To investigate this effect properly, it would be necessary
to work with a whole range of strings, not a single metre of roughly wound
hexagonal wire.  One thing can be predicted: the effect will not be
detectable on a concert grand.

JD