String rollers

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

I've never had a "roller".  What I normally do,
after the fresh strings are pulled up to pitch,
is to take a stick of maple, nothing special,
maybe somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4" square and
with moderate downward pressure, rub the strings.
 I don't go nuts and stand on them, but just a
few strokes with moderate downward pressure will
find that string stretching out nicely.  YOU
CAN'T DO THAT ON THE BASS STRINGS!!!!!!!  (Just
thought maybe I should add that for those who
wouldn't know any better.)

And, of course, I do many of the other things
suggested already, such as bending the strings
around the hitch pins, bridge pins, making sure
they're sitting properly at the bearing points,
etc...

Just my $0.02

Brian T.

=====