Numbers for the EBVT:Won't Work

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:38:15 EDT

 Billbrpt writes:

<<As far as Tuneoffs go, I would offer my system against Ed Foote's any day
of
the year.  He doesn't do what I do and I certainly don't do what he does.
Mine produces easily discernible and superior results.>>

     Hmm,  Ok,  this will be easy.  My system is to take an FAC from any
well-scaled piano, and apply Jorgensen's numbers,  or Jim Coleman numbers.
The normal disjunctures that may be found at a break are easily dealt with
aurally, if need be. This can be done by any competent tech, anywhere, so
those of you that want to compare, have at it. There have certainly been
enough techs that have heard my renditions!
     As a precedent describing the value of simplification, Thomas Young,
after positing the directions for achieving the idealized form of
well-temperament, stated that almost the same effect could be achieved by
taking two strings of fifths, one in which all were pure, and going the other
way around the circle, 6 of them that were equally impure.  According to
Jorgensen, he was concerned, in 1800, that tuners wouldn't use a temperament
that was too difficult to produce.   I think the same is true today, and I
haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT