Erard grand piano

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 19:56:32 +0100

At 11:53 04/10/01 -0400, Tom Servinsky wrote:

>Question: What do think is the reasoning behind the Erard design, placing
>the checking mechanism in front of the hammer? My guess was either a touch
>weight issue, eliminating the extra weight on the hammer and backcheck, then
>transferring the checking onto the shank, or possibly could it be a tonal
>issue ( less mass on the hammer).

The ordinary backcheck was impossible in combination with his under-damper
mechanism, whether on his earlier (monstrous) designs or on the design most
commonly encountered, where the damper body is pushed down by a flat metal
spoon at the back of the intermediate lever.

Less back-half weight is a serendipitous by-product of this constraint
rather than Erard's aim, if he even recognised it as a bonus.

JD