"Gay clientele" was RE: Erard Wheeeeeee! (Still very OT)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 03:02:40 EDT

Hi, Kevin,

Interesting that you mention the U.S. Constitution.  Where do we get ideas
such as the protection of minority rights, or basic human rights (freedom
from slavery, racial and gender equity, for example?)  You can point to
Biblical passages which, if you want specifics, give you reason to preserve
slavery, or keep women shut up in church.  But as for finding a more
underlying principle about the equal value of all humankind, the Gospel does
that - even more clearly if you let the Apostle Paul interpret it.

It took a good dose of deists, athiests and unitarians to arrive at documents
which helped create a social experiment which seems to have a better handle
on the idea of human equality than any other state - or church, for that
matter - I know.  Our churches (most, not all) fought hard to preserve
slavery, to keep women from having control of their bodies or their lives,
and to maintain ethnic heirarchy - based on clear statements from Scripture.
 For as little specific instruction as God gave us in the Bible, I think He
really wanted us to have to figure a lot of this stuff out - maybe it
wouldn't stick without our going through the process. The Constitution was
certainly a great document in that regard, and it still took a couple
centuries, a Civil War and 80+ years of Jim Crow laws for us to get to the
place where we began to interpreted it in a way that was helpful for racial
minorities and women (regardless of women's suffrage). Pretty much the same
for a number of other evolving democracies around the world.  If that is what
you mean by "all bets are off, and anything goes; Wheeeeeeeee! Let's go have
some fun!", then yes, I think we are at least starting to have fun.

Of course, I'm just one of those libertine Californians, Kevin, who you
abandoned to endure the rugged Southwest....Glad you are as feisty as ever.
Should I look forward to the Arizona State Convention in January?!?

Cheers!

Bill

In a message dated 10/4/01 7:02:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,