Verdigris fix

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 23:44:47 -0500

Dale and list,

Several years ago,  a  tech from a neighboring chapter suggested 'Kutzit' (
as in stripper) as a possible treatment  in treating vertigris.  I have used
it on several nasty vertigris Steinways,  grands and verticals, and I am
completly satisfied with the results.
   I would not suggest that a tech use it, unless they have had some
experience with conventional methods of treating sluggish flanges.  IMHO, it
should be reserved for vertigris  only, and then after all other avenues
have been considered, and rejected. (As in replacment of parts)
     A disgruntled customer, or a  technician looking for a reason to prove
once and for all, that your an oaff, could make one's life a bit unpleasent,
for using this unconventional treatment.

Here is how I proceed....

I use the 1875 watt hair dryer to bake out the H2O from the flanges and
bushing cloth, which has been trapped by the vertigris, or trapped by other
"treatments" (oils etc).  I would not suggest a heat gun. This could damage
the bushing.
    The moisture can be seen coming to the surface of the flanges. Fry until
dry.  At this point, the flanges should be 'free'. (If left alone, at this
point,  the sluggishness will return)

When you are satisfied that the H2O level has been reduced enough, ( in that
they are free) and while the flanges are still hot, I apply the lovely blue
fluid, with an eye dropper.

The next step is to break up the corrosion, by applying pressure to the
flanges,  in each of the four directions,  while moving the parts. (For
example, holding a handfull of hammers, and while pushing them through their
arc, press gently to the left...right....pull up...push down)

Let them alone for a day or two. If they are good enough, friction wise, I
then treat the flanges with silicone / naptha.  The silicone chases the H2O,
and keeps it from comming back.

Dan Reed

Dallas, Texas