Wire straightener

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 01:31:02 +0100

At 18:19 05/10/01 -0400, Farrell wrote:

>"I also straighten all wire before installing and never use it straight from
>the coil."
>
>How do you do that?

_>_>_____@_@_@_@_@____=_=_=_=_=_____________________
                          @    @    @   @                =   =   =   =

the two rows of rollers on the vertical bank and the horizontal bank can be
brought closer together and each roller is independently adjustable.

These straighteners are used throughout the wire industry, but you won't
find them in the hardware store and mine was expensive even 15 years
ago.  If I needed another, I'd make it with ball bearings.  You'd need to
have a machine shop grind grooves in the outer ring.  I've known some
old-timers use just a block of wood with staggered nails, but you'd need to
make a few for different wire gauges and it's tricky getting them
right.  For production work that's not practical but for the occasional
re-string, why not?

JD