Chipping )was: String rollers)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 20:31:15 -0500

>I understand why you would do a rubbing, but my question was, what is a
>rubbing?

Lay a piece of paper on the strings, covering agraffes, bridge pins, hitch
pins, etc. Sand through the paper at the hitch pins, so it drops down
around them. Then sand through the paper at the bridge pins so it drops
down around them. rub with a pencil over the agraffes to mark their
location, and over the strings as much as you see fit to indicate the
string line and the ends of the wrap (if you intend to keep them where they
were originally). You now have a rubbing, having rubbed with either pencil,
sandpaper, or both. On said rubbing doth now exist a reasonable facsimile
of the pertinent bass string length dimensions, suitable for framing or
mailing to the string winder of your choice with appropriate core, wrap,
and bare end dimensions. It's a stone age Zerox.

A rubbing is then, you see, the product of having rubbed - whether with
sandpaper or pencil.

Ron N