A Business Dilemma

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:38:03 -0400

Newton and everyone,

On occasion I am called upon to evaluate a privately owned piano for a
potential buyer.  I do not like trying to wheedle out of giving the seller
information, so I usually let them know when I arrive that since the
potential buyer is the one paying me, s/he is the one who should get the
information first.  If they wish to share it with the seller, that's up to
them.

Still, once in a while I will talk to the seller about the condition of the
piano if it does not put the buyer at a disadvantage.  You know, some people
think their piano is worth $1000 even if it's a 30-year-old spinet that
hasn't seen a technician in about that many years and is 150c flat, screw
rattles, rusty strings, etc.  Even though they may not be happy about what I
have to say, they have an idea why I suggested the buyer not buy, and can
decide to either lower their price, get the piano brought up to par, or rip
off some other trusting soul.  Seems ethically OK to me.  Agree or disagree?

Regards, Clyde