Rubbings and patterns

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 02:39:36 +0100

At 18:54 05/10/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Incidentally, James Arledge's recommendation for string patterns strikes
>me as a real nice workable process. Take a rubbing of the agraffes, and a
>separate one of the hitches and bridge pins. Measure speaking lengths of
>the ends of the section(s), along with your core and wrap data, and send
>them to your string winder. It doesn't make half a hoot's difference what
>you use for the pattern, or what the dimensional stability of the stuff is,
>because you supply the string winder with the speaking length measurements
>so he can orient the top and bottom, or fore and aft, patterns on the bench
>to your end of section measurements, and exactly reproduce the scale
>lengths that appear in the piano.

Fair enough if postage is $10 a gram.  Let me tell you what I like to receive.

Take a length of brown paper, lining paper or thinnish wallpaper and cur or
tear it so that it lies over the bass section nice and flat.  In the case
of an upright you can tack the top end to the top of the piano to keep it
still.

Having made sure all the pins are covered with the paper, first rub over
the bridge pins using a coarsish abrasive paper such as triMite P180 so as
to make holes on the paper over the pins.

Push the paper down onto the bridge so that the pins are sticking up
through the neat holes they have made and the paper cannot now slip

Next carefully work over the hitchpins: while keeping the paper taut, smack
the paper with the sandpaper until you get a nice small hole for each
hitchpin; you don't want to make a rough hole big enough for the pin to
pass through, just a tiny hole to show where the top of the pin is.

Now move to the top of the piano and, again keeping the paper taut, mark
the top bridge line.  If you have top bridge pins, rub these through as you
did the bridge.  If agraffes, smack the paper with the sandpaper to get the
front corner of the agraffe to make a cut in the paper.  If you have a
bridge and pressure bar, show where the bridge runs.  If you have a cast-in
top bridge, go to the next stage.

Finally rub over the copper endings at each end to show where the strings
are and where the copper terminates.  This is most important in the case of
pressure bar or cast-in top bridge, since otherwise it is impossible to
know exactly where the strings run.

If you don't remove grand dampers when taking the rubbing, there will be an
error of a few mm.  This does not matter because you can simply write
"rubbing taken over dampers..note 1 = 1379 mm.  Note 26 = 984 mm".  The
stringmaker can just make a tuck in the rubbing to remove the error.

Send the first and last string of each section as patterns.  This allows
the stringmaker to check the rubbing and make sure nothing has
slipped.  Everyone has a bad day and can make a mistake.  The patterns show
how much the strings stretch when pulled to pitch and they also show how
they were originally made.  Whether or not you want strings like these
patterns is not the point -- they are there only to provide the original
measurements and to prove the rubbing.

In most cases it is not necessary to provide length measurements.  A
well-taken rubbing is far more accurate than any measurements you can take
with a measure and it doesn't make mistakes.  In the case above you can
give two lengths and you can do this in other cases, but it should not be
unnecessary, though paper can shrink a lot if left in the sun.

 From the stringmaker's point of view, the rubbing is the piano.  He can
see it, he can lay the strings on it to test for errors etc. etc.  There
are different ways of working, I know, and a lot of the German firms work
to measurements, but I've heard these people tell me how long it takes them
and it's incredible.  The risk of error is also high because there is no
visual checking.

If I receive measurements only, I charge $40 extra, because I have to
transfer those measurements to a pseudo-rubbing to check that you have got
them right, which usually you haven't, and because I don't want the hassle
of making the strings wrong, no matter whose fault it is.  I never need to
blame a customer for my making a wrong string.  If I make a wrong string,
it's my fault for not checking the data.

The rubbing, as I've said, is sure and efficient and enabled a set of
strings to be made in about three hours from start to finish -- taking
measurements, inputting to spreadsheet, checking patterns, modifying scale
as necessary, cutting out and eye-making, flattening or swaging, putting on
the copper, packing and invoicing.  Most Steinways and Bechsteins take even
less time and only horrible baby grands sometimes take up to four hours.

If you do take measurements, it's the speaking length that matters.  Unless
you know all the tensions and the properties of the wire, you can't know
how much the strings will elongate.  Any good stringmaker nowadays ought to
have his program calculate the stretch and from this be able to give you a
perfectly straight copper line.  If your note 13 single is 4 mm closer to
the agraffe than your note 14 bichords, it's because it has stretched more
owing to the jump in tension, not compensated for by the fatter wire.

As I've said, there are different schools of string-making, so I've told
you what happens chez moi, which is English traditional with added
safeguards, certain secret tools and tricks, and, of course, computer
aid.  It's a mixture I haven't seen bettered.

JD