Planer and keytops

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:42:42 EDT

Et Al;
 just so everyone is playing from the same sheet of music...the original
question was:

<< Has anyone used an *electric planer* for dealing with removing the top
layer
of
keytops when replacing ivories with plastic?  Every reference I've found
suggests using a router instead.  Just curious. >>

 An "electric planer" is a machine tool and, except for specialty
applications, works in a top to bottom circular direction. A "rotary planer"
is a specialty "router" bit that is used in a drill press and cuts in a side
to side circular motion. Without regard to what trade name used on this type
of "planer" it is a 'bit' and not a machine tool in and of itself.
 That having been said I have seen some fine work done with a "Wagner Power
Planer" type bit/tool. Although for safety and accuracy reasons I myself
prefer to use a Router/Jig setup for my keytop work.
 Tear out is not nearly the issue with a side to side cutting motion as it is
on a front to back cutting motion as used in keytop work.
Jim Bryant (FL)