PowerTech Client Management Software

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 21:20:17 -0500

Terry,

<<I just received a CD for some piano technician client management software
called Power Tech. It does not seem to say whether it is a full working
version, or a trial version, or what.>>

I got mine a couple of days ago. Looks like it has been around since 1997
(copyright date), but this is an updated version which is now being marketed
to all members of PTG. Though the literature did not say, I would guess this
is a full working trial version which expires 1/1/02. I was messing around
with the program options, and could not change the user name from that of
its author--Troy Nolen. That alone would prevent anyone from really using
it, unless you wanted your checks made out to Mr. Nolen. It is a neat idea
to lease the program for $9/mo. Just over $100/yr is not all that bad, tho I
'd rather buy a program outright, but not for $695 that they want for
Powertech.

<<Does anyone know anything about it? I have been using PTBiz, and while it
is adequate, I
can imagine much more from good software.>>

Just from poking around on it for an hour and half last night. Looks like it
will do just about anything, but it almost seems too complex for my needs.
Powertech seems a little like getting into the Space Shuttle when you are
used to driving a Geo Metro. Too many things to be aware of, and somewhat
over-engineered. Maybe I too am used to PTBiz. Actually, I like PTBiz for
its ease of use and its simplicity. It's beauty also lies in every option
being readily available via keystroke rather than mouse clicks. That alone
saves a lot of time once the keystrokes are learned.

What I would like is something like PTBiz: keystroke capable; simple but
with the ability to add modules to do things like Powertech (if the user
needed it); a Caller ID module which will bring up client data by the second
ring; easy reports; etc., all for $49.95. I guess I will wake up now. :-)

Have you installed yours yet, Terry? What were your thoughts?

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com