Keytop routing techniques

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:58:48 -0400

Greg,
That was one of reasons for the inquiry. The laminate router bit will =
follow the key nicely. However, as you have pointed out, when key lead =
weights cause irregularities in the key itself, that will transfer to =
your beautiful new keytop.
Tom Servinsky,RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 11:17 AM
  Subject: Re: Keytop routing techniques

  And further more ... how do you route the long edge if it is riddled =
with recessed weights. Nothing for the router bit bearing to ride on you =
know. Thanks for the topic Tom.=20
  Greg=20

  Tom Servinsky wrote:=20

    List,Since the thread has been keytops, I would appreciate some =
input. I just started doing my own keytops with the aid of an Olsland =
machine.  I acquired the planer/resurfacer and the notching machine.The =
question I have is seems to be finding the safest and best way to route =
down the the long edges. Some use a laminate router bit with guide and =
some use a sanding disc.What's the consensus out there?Also what is the =
keytop cement of choice.  I was introduced to using acetone and a melted =
plastic keytop made into a honey viscosity consistently.  Within 30 =
seconds the bond is strong.  The downside is you have to be extremely =
careful not to transfer any acetone anywhere near the surface of the key =
or the finish will be marred.So bring it on.  Would be interested in =
your comments on learning the tricks of the trade.Tom Servinsky,RPT=20