Keytop routing techniques

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:52:24 -0400

At 01:04 PM 10/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Jon,
>What size of sanding disk are you using? 4,5, or 6" disc.?  I
>experimented  with my 6" disk sander and there to many obstacles do deal
>with when keys have sharp bends ( high and low extremes of the keyboard).
>How about grit grade? Any preferences?
>Tom Servinsky,RPT

I have never used a sanding disc for keytops., nor a belt sander, for that
matter.
Call me chicken but I have seen too many waifs of keys to think that I
could do better.
Murphey's Law.  Avoid precarious situations.

When my laminate trimmer was disabled I did all the trimming by hand file,
time consuming but it got the job done.

Find a flush trimming router bit with the cutting edge close to the bearing
so that the bearing will
ride on the solid portion of the key while trimming the plastic. Have one
machined for the
purpose if necessary.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician