Clarithromycin

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:17:56 EDT

There was a post recently in which someone stated, "Don't take anything
ending with 'mycin'.  It is damaging to your hearing."  As someone who
already has tinnitus and some mild hearing loss, I made a point to remember
this.  Today, I went to my doctor for help in relieving a sore throat and
swollen glands.  When he prescribed ClarithroMYCIN, I told him that I had
heard that any drugs in the 'mycin' family can impair your hearing, and he
told me that USED to be true.  The new 'mycins' (and he said ANY of the drugs
prescribed today would fit in that 'new' category) were absolutely harmless.
Skeptical, I went to my druggist, whom I trust more than any doctor.  He
concurred.  Old 'mycin' drugs stayed in your body and built up in your
system.  The new 'mycins' are eliminated and thus no problem will develop.

I though I would pass this on to the list, as it is good information to have.

Sick again,

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate