Steinway hammer alignment

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:16:45 -0400

List -

Many interesting approaches have been shared, and I am grateful for the
Ed's query about the relation of the drop screw and the leather pads, my
recollection is that the flange itself was well-centered over the the
whippen at THAT end, but the majority of the shanks headed well left of
the center of the wippen at the hammer end.  And while the majority of
the hammers were either missing the right wire altogether or just barely
grazing it (even in the bass), there were some that were well-centered,
and a few that were actually out of alignment to the right.  My first
impression was that It appeared to be the ultimate case of the holes in
the flanges being drilled at 'almost' 90 degrees, instead of AT 90
degrees.  Was 1976 a classically sloppy year?

Ed, where would the two pieces of brown paper be placed to move the
hammers to the right without incurring travelling?  I'm having a hard
time picturing that for some reason.

Ron, your idea of moving the hammer rail itself is an intriguing one, and
i will consider that an option when I bring the action into my shop next
Friday.

And Jon, your point is well taken concerning not assuming the other
elements actually ARE in the right place, even though they appear to be
at first glance.  I will look with a more discerning eye when I revisit
the scene of the crime.

Oddly enough, the piano actually plays well, and has a very good sound
for an "S" that is not getting all its "bells rung".  Perhaps the path of
least resistance that yields any improvement will end up being the most
prudent.

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com